Southwest CMG (SWCMG) is a regional group of the international Computer Measurement Group - CMG. SWCMG is focused on performance engineering and capacity of enterprise IT systems.
Members include IT professionals committed to sharing information and best practices on ensuring the efficiency and scalability of IT service delivery using measurement, quantitative analysis, validation techniques, modeling, and forecasting.
SWCMG typically meets 3-4 times a year in Dallas, Austin, and Houston.
All skill levels are welcome to join, share and network with other professionals on a variety of topics that include:
- Capacity Planning & Management
- Performance Testing
- Application Performance Management
- Performance Modeling
- System & Application Performance Monitoring
- Application Diagnostics & Optimization
Join SWCMG via Meetup
- SouthWest CMG - Performance Engineering & Capacity Planning
February 6, 2019 Webinar - Presentations
Our February SWCMG meeting was a 1-hour webinar with two presentations.
Presenter: Fred Moyer, Developer Evangelist @ Circonus
Abstract: Median, average, 90th, 99th percentile. We've all seen these metrics on our monitoring systems, both open source and from commercial vendors, but often they are used incorrectly when constructing Service Level Objectives and evaluating other business objectives with statistics. I'll show how you can calculate these aggregates the mathematically correct way using histograms.
Bio: Fred Moyer is a Developer Evangelist for Circonus, where he likes to apply math to ridiculously large sets of data. Fred is a recovering Perl and C programmer, and these days likes to hack in Go and is learning Lua. He is a 2013 White Camel award winner, Apache Software Foundation member, and has worked in software engineering and reliability roles for the last 18 years.
Presenter: Colette Downey, Performance Engineer @ Caringo
Abstract: In this webinar we will review the basics of object-based storage - how it works and how it can benefit organizations that have large amounts of unstructured data that needs to be managed, protected and stored. We will then discuss best practices for performance testing on object storage and will review Caringo’s recent benchmark testing of object storage on a multi-Terabit converged Ethernet Software-Defined Storage Super Data Cluster deployed by the UK Science and Technology Facilities Council’s (STFC) Scientific Computing Department (SCD) for the JASMIN project.
Bio: With almost three decades as a Performance Engineer for complex systems, Colette Downey has been with Caringo, the pioneer in Object Storage technology, since 2007. Ms. Downey is skilled at thoroughly researching problem space and understanding the many aspects of a problem, identifying user requirements, leading implementation teams and educating users. Ms. Downey graduated Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York.
September 19, 2018 Meeting - Presentations
- Cloud Capacity & Cost - Mike Bell, BMC
- Performance Practices - Open Forum/Panel
- Waiting & Queues - People vs. Computers - Richard Gimarc
February 21, 2018 Meeting - Presentations
- Blockchain - Beyond The Cryptocurrency Slot Machine - Paul Newton, IBM
- Don’t keep your CPU waiting: Speed reading for machines - John Baker, EPS
- Bitcoin Mining & The Capacity Planning Stack - Richard Gimarc, Amy Spellmann
- The Cost of Performance: Evolving the Capacity Planning Practice - Amy Spellmann, Richard Gimarc
- Outsourcing: Who's Minding the Gap? - Jack Opgenorth, IntelliMagic