IT Capacity Planner
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
The Richmond Fed is the proud home of the Federal Reserve’s National IT organization—a nationwide team delivering technology solutions and support across the Federal Reserve System. Many National IT employees are located in Richmond, while others are based across the U.S. at other Federal locations.
When you join our team, you’ll become part of a culture that welcomes differences, cares about our communities, and empowers each other to lead from where we are to make things better. Bring your passion and we’ll provide challenging and purposeful careers in a variety of fields, opportunities to grow and a wide range of benefits and perks that support your health and wealth. It’s all part of what makes #MyRichmondFed a great place to work!
About the Opportunity
The Capacity Management team has an immediate opening for an experienced Capacity Planner. Our team’s role is to deliver infrastructure Capacity recommendations, analysis, and reporting to Business areas throughout the Federal Reserve system with a focus on Dependability, Optimization, and improved Elasticity for the Federal Reserve’s Information infrastructure. The IT Capacity Planner – Client Capacity is a hands-on role that contributes to the success of The Federal Reserve by ensuring that capacity is available and used at optimal utilization/cost levels to meet the business needs. This role collaborates closely with performance, testing, engineering, application, and customer teams to develop scalable business intelligence solutions and utilize tools to support capacity optimization. It also will develop and help execute continual improvement ideologies throughout the capacity space.
- Capacity Planning expertise – on prem (server, network, storage), AWS, Azure, or other cloud service offerings, key performance/capacity metrics.
- Big Data experience – Data integration, data mining, data modeling, scripting experience
- R / Python expertise
- Predictive analytics (ML / AI) – proven ability to build data driven recommendations with actionable insights through the use/creation and analysis of predictive models
- Data Visualization – Tableau, Power BI, or similar business intelligence experience
- Deep familiarity with capacity management for large, heterogeneous workloads running on Unix/Windows in virtualized environments
- Ability to manage capacity in large, critical cross-organizational programs
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with a customer-focused attitude
- Identify key capacity metrics for both cloud and non-cloud workloads
- AWS/Azure or other cloud provider experience
- Engages and builds trust with customer, application owner, and engineering to help understand future capacity needs and identify optimization opportunities
- Experience recommending optimal capacity thresholds
- Exposure to AI / ML, Splunk, and modern programming practices
- Experience with Tableau or equivalent BI tool with experience developing actionable dashboards
- Advanced level ability with MS Excel
- Ability to use data to tell a story
- Experience with capacity tools
- Serves as a subject-matter expert on the team, mentor, possible team lead
- Strong analytical and logic skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills at all levels of the organization
- Able to build strong cross-functional relationships
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize projects based on business impact
- Takes initiative to utilize and recommend tools, data collection processes, and data management systems
- Proven ability to work productively and efficiently in an independent setting
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent
- Strong statistics and mathematical knowledge
- Experience building BI solutions
Discover the Reason Why So Many People Love It Here!
When you join Federal Reserve’s National IT organization, not only will you find a challenging and purposeful career, you’ll also have access to a wide range of benefits and perks that support your health and wealth, including:
- Great medical benefits
- Pension and 401(k) with employer match
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee resource networks
- Paid volunteer leave
- Flexible work options
- Onsite amenities that make working here fun
Other Requirements and Considerations:
- A requirement of this position is that the employee must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; individuals who are unable to be vaccinated due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief may request an accommodation from the Bank.
- Candidates should review the Bank’s Employee Code of Conduct to ensure compliance with conflict of interest rules and personal investment restrictions.
- The selected candidate will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility for this specific position requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Salary offered will be based on the job responsibilities and the individual’s knowledge, skills, and experience as defined in the job qualifications/experience.