Mainframe Modernized PanelAugust 23, 2021
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity in Action (IDEA) Certification CourseSeptember 1, 2021
Software Engineer, Observability
New York, NY
About the Role:
The New York Times is looking for an experienced engineer to work on our Observability/Software Quality initiative.
You will promote and implement observability strategy across 100+ microservices at The New York Times. From collecting telemetry data to making system health visible, you will develop the systems that help reporters, engineers, and executives use data to improve the health of our services. This role reports to the manager of Observability Engineering.
Remote candidates are welcome!
We are a New York-based engineering organization with a remote-friendly workplace that includes engineers around the world.
We’re looking for someone with experience using observability data to debug systems, to reduce the frequency and length of production incidents, and to provide a cohesive overall view of systems health.
- Improve NYT’s observability landscape, allowing easy access to metrics, logs and tracing
- Work with over 30+ teams in a hands-on consulting role to define top-level metrics
- Provide technical insight over what instrumentation suits the needs of NYT applications
- Work with new codebases and a variety of different tech stacks used by NYT applications
- Build quality dashboards that provide visibility and standards for key indicators to understand the health of our most critical systems
- Give our internal customers (engineers) a reliable set of tools to process, store and ship logs
- Help engineers better understand their systems through distributed tracing
- At least three years of backend software development experience
- At least one year of experience in observability or developer tooling
- An understanding of the value of Observability as a practice
- Experience developing and modifying dashboards
- Ability to work closely with stakeholder teams to understand their needs and propose solutions
- Experience working as an SRE
- Experience being an incident commander or debugging/troubleshooting large, system-wide issues