2014 A. A. Michelson Award - Call for Nominations
By Bill Jouris, Chairperson
Presentation of the A. A. Michelson Award is considered each year by the Computer Measurement Group for individuals who have made significant contributions to our profession. Albert Abraham Michelson, for whom the award is named, was known for his technical accomplishments in measuring the speed of light and for his role as teacher and inspiration to others. CMG presents this prestigious award at their International Conference to recognize and encourage the same combination of technical excellence and professional contribution found in only an exceptional few.
It is to this end that we solicit nominations for this year’s A. A. Michelson Award. The prospective nominee must qualify on each of the three independently judged categories:
- Presentation of ideas and results about computer performance via papers, books or presentations.
Original Contributions (at least one of the following):
- A significant new computer performance analysis, measurement, or management approach.
- A significant new computer performance data collection, data reduction, simulation, or analysis tool. Where a group has developed a product, this criteria applies to an individual who has supplied the critical ideas rather than the project administrator(s).
- Providing the feasibility and utility of a computer performance tool or approach. This may apply to either the individual who executes the activity or the individual who manages the activity.
Inspirer of Others (at least one of the following):
- Has encouraged and aided others in developing and applying techniques in performance measurement, analysis, and management.
- Has contributed to the success and proliferation of the field by serving professional organizations as an officer or director, or in conducting professional conferences.
Although no fixed format is required for your nomination, include enough detail so that it is clear as to which of the above criteria have been met. The nomination must be seconded by two previous A. A. Michelson winners. (If the nomination does not include the two seconds, the Michelson Nominations Committee will attempt to find two prior recipients to second the nomination.)
The deadline for nominating is Friday, July 18, 2014.
Nominations must be emailed to:
Former Michelson winners include:
H. Pat Artis
Jeffrey Buzen J. William Mullen
Dr. Daniel Menasce
Dr. Alan Jay Smith
Dr. Annie W. Shum
Dr. Neil J. Gunther
Michael Salsburg, Ph.D
Gary M. King
Lloyd G. Williams, Ph.D.